Claire Chandler, the audiologist at Joondalup Expert Hearing Care changed my life forever. If ever you want to experience an
Free Hearing Aids for Seniors, Pensioners & Veterans
Australian seniors are lucky to benefit from one of the world’s most progressive hearing services programs. Our government understand the individual, social and financial burden of hearing loss and have created a scheme to ensure that seniors, pensioners and veterans can access FREE hearing services and digital hearing aids through accredited providers such as Expert Hearing Care.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, 21 years of age and over, meeting one of the following criteria:
- Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
- Gold Health Repatriation Card
- White Health Repatriation Card (specifying hearing loss)
- Centrelink Sickness Allowance
You may also be eligible if you are:
- Dependent of a person in one of the above categories
- Active member of the Defence Force
- Client of CRS Australia
Additionally the program supports the following groups, however they must be seen at the government hearing care provider, Australian Hearing:
- Australian citizens under 21-years of age
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders over 50 years of age
How do you apply for a voucher?
If you believe that you may be eligible, call Expert Hearing Care on (08) 6262-8991 and we will provide, and assist you to complete, an application form for the Office of Hearing Services. If you are applying for the first time, you will also need to have this Application Form signed by your doctor.
If you are already a client of the program and have not had a voucher for more than 3-years, we will be able to request a new voucher application on your behalf regardless of whether you have seen us in the past. At this time you have complete freedom to change from one hearing care provider to another.
Services you will receive
Eligible seniors, pensioners and veterans can obtain a range of products and services to meet your needs, many of which are completely free:
- Your hearing assessed by a qualified audiologist at Expert Hearing Care, at no cost
- If the assessment indicates that a hearing aid or other device would assist you, we will help you select a model from a range of quality hearing aid manufacturers – and some of the devices are FREE of charge, while the federal government will subsidise part of the cost for more advanced solutions
- We will train and counsel you in ways to obtain the maximum benefit from your hearing devices, at no cost
- You can obtain a maintenance contract from us for your hearing aids, which also covers you for hearing aid batteries. This is heavily subsidised by the federal government so that your annual contribution is minimal.
Can you change providers without a new voucher?
The answer is “YES”, although the Office of Hearing Services look for reasons they feel are grounds for changing providers. For example, we are less likely to be granted a ‘relocation request’ on the basis of one hearing care provider having better hearing aids than another. In our experience, here are a couple of grounds for relocation:
- Convenience: You believe that one of the Expert Hearing Care clinics is easier to get to.
- Breakdown of relationship in your existing provider: You will have the choice to see whoever you choose if you feel the reasons are valid enough.
Maintenance and batteries
If you are fitted with hearing aids, we recommended that you take up the option of a maintenance agreement with Expert Hearing Care. The majority of this cost is subsidised by the government.
For a nominal annual fee we will maintain your aid and supply batteries. If you choose not to pay the annual maintenance fee, you will need to buy your batteries regularly and pay for servicing and repairs of your hearing aid.
Make an appointment and we will help!
It is always easiest to come and see us to discuss your needs – even if you are with another provider.
At no charge, we will give you a hearing check so that we can assess and discuss whether you may be eligible for hearing devices and also answer any questions you may have and assist you to complete necessary paperwork for the Office of Hearing Services.
Call us on (08) 9375 9977 or complete the online form found here.